Monday, July 19, 2010

Stay (Faraway, So Close!)



Deviating from my norm, I realize it has been some time since I have really "written" anything to coincide with my photographs. Let me fill you in: I moved to Chicago one week after graduation, exactly one month ago today. I live alone in Hyde Park, splitting my time between interning, working, and adventuring (most of the time up north to see Carrie). So far, I haven't really had too much time to sit down and think think think. For me, this is a refreshing departure from how I spent my last summer in Chicago... and, really, how I spend most of my time in general. I have kept myself on my toes, I have made photographs, I have been persistent, and, for the first time, I have truly recognized the potential of my life. That isn't to say that living here is not humbling. In fact it is, almost daily, for me. That isn't to say I haven't had moments of sadness. In fact, I have, but I allow myself those moments, so that I may (to quote a friend), "Wash my face and carry on with my day." I have had worries -- boy, have I had challenges! Interning downtown for the first time was scary -- I did it. Finding a fun and flexible part-time job seemed impossible -- after over twenty applications and numerous interviews, I did it. I've navigated the depths of the ghetto -- alone, and at night. I've consistently slept in a pipin' hot apartment. I've pinched pennies. I've lived minimally. But, I'm here. I'm proud of myself. Do you know how amazing it is to admit that?

The above photographs are reminscent of the photos that I took during the first day of my internship (via 28mm rather than 50mm). My good friend Jill was visiting Chicago for the first time this weekend, so I served as a sort of makeshift tour guide of the city, of course making sure we stopped in Millennium Park to polish off her authentic tourist experience. We dipped our feet by the Crown Fountain, observed the throng of children soaking themselves from head to toe... and, just then, I remembered how good it felt to be free. On any hot summer day, a beautiful photograph is waiting to be made in this city. The realization alone is liberating enough.

No comments: