Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Bitter vs. Sweet


I have seen the valley, and I've swam in it. It is dark and beautiful at the same time. But even the lowest valleys can, with strength, be climbed up and out of. I haven't seen the peak yet, but it's only made possible by confronting what's difficult, by embracing what's painful, and by letting go, and free falling all the way to the scary bottom.

This is the last photo I took in Athens yesterday evening before driving away and blowing out my speakers to Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody." Carrie and I kept this cake around -- this hunk of sweetness -- and we couldn't dream of saying goodbye, even when it was literally the very last item in our house. It took so much time to make! And it was so beautiful! Oh, the effort and the splendor of it. We took photos, threw it in the trash can, placed our keys in the kitchen, and walked away with a laugh, little trickles running down our faces.

No comments: